Spinal cord is the controlling part of our body. It transfers messages between brain and rest of
our body. If something bad happens to the spinal cord, your body may not be able to function
properly. Spinal cord injuries are both temporary and permanent.
Some Major Causes of Backbone injuries are:
1) Poor Posture/ movement/ lifting/ everyday Activities:
Poor posture is one of the main
causes of neck and backbone pain. Good posture helps spine to maintain balance and
alignment of spine.People who work in offices generally suffer from this kind of back
2) Sports/ Recreational Accidents :
Sports activities such Weight lifting or diving in
shallow water cause several backbone injuries.People who try to lift more than the usual
without getting in form usually end up in back pains.
3) Violence, Gunshot ,Stabbing:
With the increase of weapon use in urban areas, spinal
cord injuries are becoming common. Gunfights, stabbing and violence at home and
street fights result in major permanent injuries and most of them.
4) Work Accidents:
Work related injuries such as construction site injuries may cause
permanent or temporary disabilities. Workplace injuries are caused by falls, slips, heavy
lifting. Defective tools and equipment can also be the cause of injuries at work.
5) Vehicle Accidents :
Road accidents are leading cause of spinal cord injuries.
Accounting for about 30-35% of the backbone injuries.A road accident can be traumatic
that crushes, compresses, dislocates or fractures one or more of the vertebrae.
6) Slips and Falling Accidents:
back injuries may be caused by both kind of falls,fall from
height or fall from same level
Such as Cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis and inflammation of the spinal cord,
Spinal Stenosis (it is Compression of cord by Tumor) or infection may cause spinal cord
How to avoid them:
1. At construction site, tanks must be covered, as well as anything fence everything that
might put someone at risk.
2. Health and safety measurements shall be strictly followed and every worker should have
3. While working in office ,don't sit in one position for too long. Stretch your body after
4. Maintain a good body posture, your spine have three natural curves, avoid too straight or
too bent back.
5. Use testified tools and equipments at work
6. Don't lift heavy objects all of a sudden. Prevent twisting and sudden movements while
trying to stand up.
7. Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Avoid obesity. Weight gain results in backbone
8. While diving into water, make sure water is deep enough so that you don’t hit the ground
9. Hire a trainer or instructor before heavy weight lifting. Always keep someone along with
you while using heavy weights or bench presses
10. Keep floors dry. In case of wet or slippery floor , safety floor signs must be used.
11. Fasten your seatbelts while driving ,
12. Make muscle stretching a habit. it will make your body flexible and chances of backbone
problems will be less.
13. In case of any serious injury, try to avoid moving. Call 999 or First aid for help.